How effective is your direct mail marketing campaign? That's the question that you need to answer in order to make the most of your marketing. Focusing on what works best and spending your budget in the most effective way is key to affordable direct mail. Too many times we have customers that are not sure if their direct mail campaigns are effective. If you are like them, you need to track your responses. If you are already tracking, you may find a couple of new ways to track what you are doing.
Before you launch any direct mail campaign, set a system in place that will allow you to track the results. Tracking means you can see what resonated best with your customers or prospects, what got the most interaction, and what led to the most sales, sign-ups, or other action. You then have the information you need to focus on the things that work, thereby preventing your business from losing money on the things that don't. Don’t forget that this also allows you to test different types of messaging at one time.
Here are 7 tips on ways to track your direct mail:
- QR codes: The landing page for each scan should be created specifically for each campaign. You can easily track who is hitting the landing pages and what they do from there.
- URL or PURL: As with scanning the QR Codes, you need a unique landing page for each campaign.
- Coupons: Make sure to create a code on the coupons that you can use to track responses as people redeem them.
- Donation reply cards: Create a code for each campaign, imprint that code somewhere on the reply device so that if they return it with their check you can track which campaign it came from.
- Phone Call: Use a special phone number for each campaign or if that is not possible, ask for a code you imprinted on the piece as part of your order intake.
- Text Messages: Many people find that text messaging it the easiest way to respond. When you setup your campaign either create a special number for each one or require that as part of the text message they need to enter a code from the mail piece.
- Mail piece: One of the easiest ways to track direct mail response is to require the recipient to bring the mailer with them in order to get a discount or some other special offer.
Creating effective direct mail is all about knowing what works and what does not. That knowledge can only be gained through tracking of your own campaigns, because what works well for one company may not work well for you. Trying to utilize general direct mail trends published by the DMA or others is not an effective method. What you don’t know in direct mail can hurt you.
No matter what kind of marketing response method you're using, ask yourself first how you will track it. Give your direct mail campaigns the best chance of success by putting a tracking system in place so you can compare and contrast their effectiveness and return on investment. You can work with us to decide which methods work best for each campaign you do.
Are you ready to get started or have questions? Call us in San Diego at (619) 448-6111 or email [email protected]. We are glad to help!