How Much Does Direct Mail Cost?
The first answer to that question is always it depends. Not much help right? It is the truth though as there are many options and each one has a different cost associated with it. We can take a look at options and figure out some ball park costs for your planning. Ok let’s go deeper and look at some direct mailoptions and some price ranges. For postcards, self-mailers and letters we are including the print and mail services costs, postage and design are separated out.
- Postage - The most expensive part of direct mail is postage. So your first decision needs to be what type of postage do I want? The first class category is the most expensive but delivers mail quickly. The standard category is cheaper and delivers slower. The range right now for presorted first class
postage is between $0.376 - $0.419 each. The range right now for presorted standard postage is between $0.211 - $0.291 each. The rate ranges based on your list. Nonprofits have the best postage rates between $0.096 - $0.176 each.
- Postcards – These are the cheapest option. They can range in size from 4 x 6 to 6 x 11 in the letter rate postage category. Prices for postcards depend on design as well as size but a general range for service costs not including postage or design is generally between $0.20 - $1.50 each. The qty will also be a factor since the more you do the cheaper the price per piece.
- Self-Mailers – These have the benefits of visibility like postcards, but cost a little more. The prices for this group really vary a lot since there are many sizes, folding options, tabbing or even fugitive glue. Just keep in mind that the larger the mailer the more it will cost. The more folds needed as well as fugitive glue also increase the costs. The cost for services not including postage or design is generally between $0.25 - $2.50 each. Keep in mind that specialty finishing like textures, embossing and so on will increase the prices. The qty will also be a factor since the more you do the cheaper the price per piece.
- Letters – There are many options in letters beyond just personalized versus generic. You can have multiple inserts, window envelopes or regular envelopes. Generally letters are the most expensive category. The cost of envelopes and inserting add up. The cost for services not including postage or design is generally between $0.30-$3.00 each. Keep in mind that each insert will increase your cost and matching personalization will also add to your total. The qty will also be a factor since the more you do the cheaper the price per piece.
- Design – There are many options here including if you are furnishing images or not. Generally design pricing is based on time, so the more complex the design the longer it takes and therefore the more it costs. With that in mind for budgeting purposes you can plan on design costing between $200 - $2000 per project.
These costs outline above are for general budgeting purposes. Costs fluctuate such as paper and other consumables change price, just as postage rates change about once per year based on the post office. It is always best to get a price quote from us before you finalize your budget. We can discuss cost saving ideas and provide you with postal requirement guidance.
When you are ready to get a quote call us 619-448-6111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org . We look forward to working with you!